In the world of video games, few titles have gained as much anticipation and hype as Cyberpunk 2077. Developed by CD Projekt Red, the creators of the critically acclaimed Witcher series, Cyberpunk 2077 is an open-world, action-adventure game set in a dystopian future. With its immersive storyline, breathtaking setting, and innovative features, Cyberpunk 2077 has captured the attention of gamers worldwide. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the storyline, setting, key features, updates, and expansions, providing an in-depth understanding of the captivating world of Cyberpunk 2077.
Release Date and Platforms
After several delays to ensure a polished and high-quality experience, Cyberpunk 2077 was finally released on December 10, 2020. The game was first announced in October 2012 and the first teaser trailer was released in January 2013. Prior to release, the game had already drawn attention for all the wrong reasons, mainly due to the artwork featured in the game. That managed to cause a lot of controversy and to fix those issues took CD Projekt Red more time than anticipated. Then came the release date dilemma. First set to be released in April 2020, the release was pushed ahead in January 2020 to September of the same year, as some things still needed to be done. In March of 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, CD Projekt Red switched to fully remote work. While the entire team was working from home, the developers remained confident that they could still launch in September with delays only in potential recordings with actors due to studio closures. On June 18th, 2020, the release was further delayed to November 19th, saying that the game would be ready when it is done. On October 27th, 2020, Cyberpunk 2077 was once again delayed, this time until December 10th of the same year. It was finally released on 10th December 2020, after several delays.
Cyberpunk 2077 was released on a number of platforms to make it accessible for everyone. The game is available on various platforms, including PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Google Stadia. It is also compatible with PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S consoles through backward compatibility, with optimized versions planned for the future.
Cyberpunk 2077 takes place in the sprawling and bustling metropolis of Night City, a vivid and intricate backdrop for a captivating narrative. The game is based on the Cyberpunk tabletop role-playing game created by Mike Pondsmith, which has a rich lore spanning over three decades.
In the game, players assume the role of V who is playable both as a male (Vincent) or female (Valerie) character, a mercenary outlaw striving to make a name for themselves in Night City. The city is a melting pot of culture, governed by powerful corporations and plagued by crime, poverty, and violence. As V, you navigate through the various districts of the city, each with its own distinct atmosphere and factions. The core of the story revolves around a unique item called the “chip of immortality.” This chip grants digital immortality, and its pursuit becomes intertwined with V’s personal journey to achieve fame, fortune, and survival. Throughout the game, players will encounter a cast of captivating characters, make choices that shape their destiny, and uncover deep-seated conspiracies that have far-reaching consequences.
Night City serves as the centerpiece of Cyberpunk 2077, a sprawling and visually stunning metropolis that embodies the neon-soaked cyberpunk aesthetics. Divided into six distinct regions, each with its own atmosphere, Night City is a city of contrasts. Towering skyscrapers cast shadows over bustling markets and seedy back alleys, creating a vivid and immersive world. The city itself is a vibrant and dynamic entity, brimming with life and intricate details. The streets are populated with a diverse range of non-playable characters (NPCs), each going about their daily routines, offering a sense of immersion rarely seen in open-world games. From luxurious corporate high-rises to impoverished slums, Night City is a living, breathing world that truly captivates players.
The world of Cyberpunk is filled with a diverse cast of characters, each with their own unique stories and motivations. The main cast of Cyberpunk 2077 is:
- Johnny Silverhand: Johnny Silverhand is a rebellious rocker with a burning desire for revolution. His charismatic presence and relentless pursuit of justice make him an unforgettable force within Night City. He is portrayed by the famous actor Keanu Reeves which makes him even more popular with the fans.
- Jackie Welles: Jackie Welles is a loyal and street-smart partner to the protagonist, known as Character V. With a heart of gold and a strong sense of loyalty, Jackie serves as both a mentor and a trusted friend, guiding V through the treacherous landscape of the city.
- Character V: Character V themselves is a customizable protagonist, allowing players to shape their appearance, skills, and personality. As they navigate the dark underbelly of Night City, they face countless challenges and make consequential choices that shape their destiny. Character V can be customized in any way the player wants. The name of the actual character is not Character V, but is Vincent or Valerie, depending on the gender you choose for your character.
- Judy Álvarez: Judy Álvarez, a brilliant braindance technician, brings a touch of humanity and compassion to the chaotic world of Cyberpunk. She is deeply involved in the fight for justice and seeks to expose the corruption and injustice rampant in Night City.
- Evelyn Parker: Evelyn Parker is a complex and enigmatic character, working as a high-end doll at the infamous Clouds club. She becomes entangled in a dangerous web of intrigue and power, ultimately leading V down a path of self-discovery and redemption.
- Rogue Amendiares: Rogue Amendiares, a legendary fixer, is a formidable figure in Night City’s criminal underworld. Her connections and expertise make her a valuable ally or a dangerous adversary, depending on whose side you find yourself on.
Together, these characters make a compelling narrative, showcasing the various facets of life in a dystopian future where technology, corruption, and personal struggles intertwine. Their stories, relationships, and journeys make Cyberpunk an immersive and unforgettable experience.
In the sprawling metropolis of Cyberpunk 2077, fashion is an expression of individuality and a reflection of the futuristic world’s edgy aesthetic. When it comes to the outfits, they become more than just garments; they are statements of style and attitude. Jackets in Night City range from sleek, form-fitting designs to rugged, weathered leathers. They come adorned with intricate patterns, neon trims, and holographic embellishments, adding a touch of high-tech flair. Some feature built-in LED lighting that pulses and shifts with the wearer’s movements, ensuring that they stand out in the crowd just like the Cyberpunk 2077 Edgerunners David Martinez Jacket. Vests, on the other hand, exude a sense of rebellion and functionality. Whether it is a bulletproof tactical vest or a lightweight mesh variant, they are equipped with numerous pockets and compartments to hold all the necessary gadgets and tools for surviving the urban chaos. They are often layered over other garments, creating a visually striking ensemble. The color palette of jackets and vests in Cyberpunk 2077 is bold and vibrant, embracing colors like electric blue, neon pink, and deep crimson. Some characters are seen wearing dark colors as well such as the Cyberpunk 2077 Johnny Silverhand Vest. These vivid tones contrast with the grungy backdrop of Night City, further emphasizing the individuality and audacity of those who wear them.
Emblazoned with gang logos, corporate symbols, or custom artwork, jackets and vests become badges of affiliation or personal expression. Whether donned by mercenaries, street samurais, or netrunners, they serve as a visual representation of the role and standing of one in the cybernetic society just like the Cyberpunk 2077 Samurai Wolf School Leather Jacket. In the realm of Cyberpunk 2077, jackets and vests are not merely outerwear; they are an extension of one’s identity, a fusion of fashion and function that captures the essence of a world teetering on the edge of chaos.
Cyberpunk 2077 has a lot of key features worth mentioning other than the incredible fashion. Some of them are:
- Character Customization: Cyberpunk 2077 offers extensive character customization, allowing players to create their own unique version of V. From appearance and backstory to skills and playstyle, players have the freedom to shape V’s identity and immerse themselves in the world. Choose from various physical attributes, cybernetic enhancements, and clothing options to tailor V to your preferences.
- Lifepaths: At the beginning of the game, players choose one of three lifepaths for V: Nomad, Street Kid, or Corpo. Each lifepath offers a different starting point and distinct storylines, providing varied perspectives on the city and its inhabitants. This choice influences the initial quests and interactions, offering replayability and a deeper understanding of the world.
- Open-World Exploration: Night City is an expansive and densely packed open world, filled with countless quests, side activities, and secrets waiting to be discovered. Whether you choose to engage in high-octane car chases, hack into corporate databases, or explore the hidden corners of the city, the game offers a multitude of ways to interact with its world. The level of detail and immersion is unparalleled, allowing players to lose themselves in the city’s intricacies.
- Combat and Skills: Cyberpunk 2077 offers a versatile combat system that can be tailored to suit different playstyles. Players can engage in intense gunfights, utilize melee combat, or employ stealth tactics to overcome challenges. Additionally, players can augment their bodies with cybernetic enhancements, unlocking new abilities and options in combat. The skill progression system allows players to develop their character’s skills in hacking, stealth, or combat, further enhancing their capabilities.
- Cyberware and Upgrades: As a futuristic RPG, Cyberpunk 2077 incorporates cyberware enhancements that allow players to modify their characters with mechanical implants. From enhancing physical abilities such as strength and speed to adding new combat options like mantis blades or a neural hacking interface, cyberware plays a significant role in shaping V’s capabilities. Players can acquire new cyberware through quests, purchases, or by visiting specialist vendors in Night City.
Updates and Expansions
CD Projekt Red has been dedicated to improving and expanding Cyberpunk 2077 since its release. Multiple updates have been released to address bugs, improve performance, and introduce new features. The developers have been actively listening to player feedback to ensure a better overall experience. In addition to updates, the game’s first major expansion, “Cyberpunk 2077: The Heist,” is scheduled for release in the coming months. This expansion promises to deliver a new chapter in V’s story, along with additional quests, locations, and characters. It offers an opportunity to delve deeper into Night City’s mysteries and experience new adventures.
Cyberpunk 2077 has cemented its place as one of the most ambitious and captivating video games of recent years. With its immersive storyline, breathtaking setting, and innovative features, it offers players an unparalleled experience in a dystopian future. As you dive into Night City as V, prepare to uncover the secrets, navigate the morally ambiguous choices, and immerse yourself in the rich tapestry of this cyberpunk masterpiece. Whether you are a fan of the genre or a newcomer, Cyberpunk 2077 is sure to leave a lasting impression and redefine the boundaries of interactive storytelling. Embrace the neon-lit chaos, for Night City awaits your arrival.